Cells for Life established this program to offer compassionate support to Canadian families who have an immediate family member possibly requiring a stem cell transplant within the first year following the expected baby’s birth.
Research demonstrates that genetically-related cord blood stem cells in transplants increases the chance of success as compared to transplants from an unrelated donor.*
One-year survival rate is more than twice as high if patient receives a cord blood stem cell transplant from a relative (63%) vs an unrelated donor (29%).*
Criteria for Acceptance to the Program
Approval is on a case-by-case basis on the recommendation of the treating Oncologist, Haematologist or Medical Geneticist with the condition that the cord blood unit might be required for transplant within the first year of storage.
Instructions for Application
The Treating Oncologist/Haematologist/Medical Geneticist Must:
- Complete the Medical Need Cord Blood Referral form
- Fax completed form to Cells for Life at 1-905-472-2185
The Family Must:
- Register online for cord blood banking at www.cellsforlife.com
- Record “Medical Need Program” in the “For Internal Use” field
- Indicate they are applying for the Medical Need Program when contacted by Cells for Life’s Client Services after registration has been submitted.
Upon receipt of the Medical Need Cord Blood Referral form from the referring Oncologist, Haematologist or Medical Geneticist, the Chair of the Medical Need Program will review the information and provide a decision regarding approval. Cells for Life will notify the family about the decision.
Cells for Life is committed to the Medical Need Program, allowing Canadian families with a medical need to bank their cord blood, providing hope to the family and offering an alternate treatment option.