1. What is it?
With cord blood and cord tissue banking, parents now have the option to bank two different types of stem cells from their newborn. Cord tissue is collected after umbilical cord blood, and provides families with access to a different source of stem cells.
2. What is it used for?
Cord blood and tissue banking provide families with a number of well-known benefits including:
- Access to a rich source of hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs)
- Cord blood stem cells can be used to help improve over 80 different conditions such as leukemia, lymphoma, genetic diseases, and other disorders
- The knowledge that clinical trials are testing cord blood’s effectiveness as a source of therapy for autism, Type 1 Diabetes, spinal cord injury, cerebral palsy, and many others
- Cord Blood is used today in the treatment of 80 diseases while cord tissue is in the early stage of clinical development.
- The application of cord tissue MSCs is in the early stage of clinical development, although scientists are optimistic that new cutting-edge therapies will result from cord tissue research.
- Ongoing tests will determine if MSCs can help provide therapy for heart failure, stroke, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis and many more.
3. What does it contain?
Cord blood is a rich source of blood stem cells and other important cells. Cord tissue is a segment of the umbilical cord that has unique properties, including a rich source of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). MSCs can prevent irritation, suppress the immune response, assist tissue repair and potentially develop into bone and cartilage tissue. Stem cells are powerful because they have the ability to create and regenerate the organs, blood, tissue and the immune system that make up our bodies.
Regenerative therapy specialists recommend that families review their options for both cord blood and cord tissue banking before giving birth to a newborn baby. Banking both cord blood and cord tissue will allow families to access two types of stem cells with the potential to improve an ever-growing list of diseases and conditions.
As trials provide clinical evidence to support the benefits of cord tissue, more information will be made available to help educate and inform families about the benefits of cord tissue in addition to cord blood.
Preservation is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity
Expecting a child? Have friends or family who are expecting? Enroll with us today or visit our Refer A Friend page to start referring. When someone you refer preserves with Cells for Life, you’ll get a cheque or storage credit — and they’ll receive an exclusive discount when they enroll to store their baby’s stem cells*.
*Referral program applies only to existing Cells for Life clients (“Referring Clients”) referring new clients to Cells for Life (“Referred Clients”). Referring Clients must accept the terms of promotion and join Cells for Life before receiving client referral rewards. Referred Client must enroll using the referral link provided by Referring Client or mention Referring Client when enrolling over the phone. Discounts may not be combined with other offers. Full terms and conditions can be found here.